1 toilet paper tube
1 pair of children’s scissors
Handcrafting paste or glue stick
1 dull darning or punching needle
Craft pattern: “Theo the Parrot”
Craft pattern: "Theo the Parrot” coloring page
- First, print out the craft pattern on two sheets of paper (DIN-A4). Make sure your printer is set to 100% (see print menu).
- Cut out the individual parts (or let your child cut them out).
- You can then glue the body (1) around the surface of the toilet paper tube.
- Cut out a piece of cardboard along the dotted line along the upper edge of the toilet paper tube. This will be used for the beak in the next step. Remove the glued section of the print out from the cut out section.
- Bend and cut the piece of cardboard into the shape of a beak. Glue the beak between the eyes on the Parrot’s body.
- Using a dull darning needle or a punching needle, carefully cut a small hole at the position marked in the middle of the toilet paper tube. Then you can draw a thread through the hole to hang the bee. Tie several knots on the inside end of the thread to prevent the thread from slipping out.
- Then glue the head cover (2) to the upper, oblique end of the toilet paper tube. To do this, fold the three tabs downward along the dotted line and glue them to the edge of the toilet paper tube.
- Glue the front (4a) and back (4b) sides of the tail together and glue the tail to the end of the Parrot’s body.
- Glue the wings on the right and left sides of the Parrot’s body to that they overlap.
- You can then glue on some extra handcrafting feathers.
- Hooray! You’re finished!
Once your child has chosen a craft pattern to color, he or she should color the individual parts before cutting them out. That will help prevent the smaller parts from tearing or creasing during coloring.
If you want Theo the Parrot to sit on a branch, wrap one or two strips of tape around a stick. Then attach the protruding ends of the tape to the inside of the toilet paper tube where the feet will be placed.
Why not make a colorful mobile with the parrot and his flying friends?